Thursday 9 July 2015

Preview Night Goodness!

With most panels not starting until tomorrow Preview Night is about two things - the show floor and the product reveals.  From what I've seen so far the show floor looks as incredible as always.  This year's highlight (at least so far) has to be the WB costume displays for Batman v Superman and their Arrow and Flash TV series.  I mean just look at these incredible costumes;

Photo by DC Comics

Photo by DC Comics
I can only imagine how awesome it must be to be on the show floor and see these up close and in person.  Just wow!!

I'm hoping to see plenty more show floor goodness over the next few days but for those not there (like me!) it was the reveals that were the main excitement last night.  I said that SDCC always hurts my wallet even though I never go (link).  This is why!

The film may not be out until next March but Batman v Superman had a ton of products revealed on the show floor last night.  DC Collectibles showed off three statues featuring Superman and Batman in both his standard suit and his armoured look and although she wasn't shown I have to assume that Wonder Woman will be coming as well.




Play Arts Kai also showed off prototypes for their upcoming Superman and Batman figures which you can see over at Toy Ark.  Like with DC, Wonder Woman wasn't shown but I'm certain she'll be coming as well along with Batman's armoured look.  I tend to find the PAK figures a little over priced (I'd rather put the money towards the expected Hot Toys versions) but they certainly have nice sculpts.

Not to be outdone Mattel debuted both their standard and collector lines for the film as well.  I wasn't too impressed with the Man of Steel Movie Masters but these do look better so I'm hoping that the final figures turn out just as good.  According to 13th Dimension's review of the SDCC exclusive 2-Pack there will be 8 figures in the collectors line and they will all come with a piece of a larger collect and connect figure.  Four of the eight were on display, the trinity plus a 2nd Batman in armour, and it's probably reasonable to assume Lex and Aquaman are 2 of the remaining 4.  Not sure who will round out the set but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Lois (we got Alfred for The Dark Knight Rises so it's not out of the question).  The large collect and connect figure is probably obvious to anyone who's read any of the rumours/spoilers surrounding the film.

The collectors figures I expected, especially after Mattel revealed their SDCC exclusive 2-Pack, but I didn't expect them to be part of a new 6" DC Multiverse line!  Whilst Batman v Superman gets a wave to itself there will be another wave featuring characters from both comics and TV!  On display were The Flash's Flash and Reverse Flash along with Joker and Batman's robot suit from the recent Endgame comic arc.  According to The Fwoosh Mattel's representative said this would be a six figure wave that also included  Arrow's Arrow and a "black" Superman (I'm guess this will be Earth-2's Val-Zod).  However, I'd guess that Batman's robot suit is the collect and connect figure so there's still one more figure to be revealed.

I'm actually really excited for these.  I've wanted DC Collectibles to do movie figures in scale with their TV offerings for ages but I'd pretty much given up on that dream.  Whilst Mattel may not go as deep as DC (I don't see them offering Felicity or Diggle any time some) this line will finally allow me to get DC movie and TV figures in the same scale so I'm really looking forward to these hitting the shelves at the start of next year.  You can see plenty of pictures over at The Fwoosh.

I have to admit Mattel really impressed me last night.  On top of their DC announcements they revealed the remainder of their 2015 Masters of the Universe Classics line up as well.  They normally hold the reveals back until their panel on Friday but with a big re-branding coming up for the line in 2016 (which will debut at the panel) they obviously decided to hit the ground running this year and show more than usual!  You can see plenty of pictures from the reveal at The Fwoosh link above and also over at PixelDan's Instagram (I'm really looking forward to his booth walkthrough after the panel!)  I know it's a controversial opinion amongst MOTU fans but personally I'm loving Dare/He-Ro II!  If those ThunderCats rumours turn out to be true then this will have been an amazing Comic Con for Mattel!

Masters of the Universe Classics - Dare, Photo by The Fwoosh

Moving on to 1/6 scale (oh how my bank balance wishes I'd never discovered these!) Hot Toys continues it's all out assault on collector's wallets by showing off plenty of new pieces including Princess Leia, Boba Fett, Stormtrooper Disguise Luke Skywalker and two incredible pieces you'll need a second mortgage for - the Millennium Falcon cock pit and an actual 1/6 scale TIE Fighter!!  You can see all the pics over at Rebelscum.  I'm kinda glad I'm not jumping on the Hot Toys Star Wars line until The Force Awakens (you can bet I'll be getting at least Luke, Han and Leia) as my wallet definitely couldn't handle this!

But one 1/6 scale release I'm not going to miss is Mondo's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles line!

Mondo's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Photo by ComingSoon.net

If I could afford it I would totally be all in with this line.  I'm just praying for a sub $150 price point so I can at least afford the 4 Turtles and then go from there depending on who comes next ($100 or less would be amazing but unrealistic given the current trend of 1/6 prices).  The detail on the figures, the comic inspired look and accessories, the alternate heads with the coloured mask, I just love almost everything about them.  The only thing I'd change would be the make Raphael a little darker.  I like that Mondo are paying tribute to the original Playmates line with the different coloured Turtles but Raph just stands out a little too much against his brothers for my personal tastes.  You can see more incredible pictures over at Ninja Pizza's Facebook page.  The price on these is still TBD but Leo will be going up for pre-order later this month (followed by Don in August, Mikey and a Mouser 2-Pack in September and Raph in October) with the figures due to ship late Q1/early Q2 2016.  Definitely my favourite Comic Con reveal so far!!

No comments:

Post a Comment