Tuesday 7 July 2015

Batman v Superman Plot Leaked?

Henry Cavill as Superman, Ben Affleck as Batman and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman

Last weekend saw plenty of pre-Comic Con reveals about Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice courtesy of Entertainment Weekly, including the above shot of the Trinity together for the first time!  However, it was a piece on the Superman Homepage that really caught my eye as they posted a link to what is possibly a complete summary of the movie (obviously major potential spoiler warnings apply so read at your own risk).  Apparently this summary has been floating around for a while but has gained some credibility this week as the new Entertainment Weekly info certainly seems to back up some of the scenes it describes.  Now normally I try and avoid spoilers like the plague.  I made the mistake once of really spoiling a film and sat watching it for the first time feeling like I'd already seen it.  But after Superman killed Zod in Man of Steel I decided that I'd rather go into this film a little more forewarned.  If there's going to be another moment like that then I'd prefer to know in advance.

So I gave it a read.  And I have to say, if it is legit, I really liked it.  It's not perfect (I'm not sure I like what happens after Superman's first exposure to Kryptonite but I can see how it's important in driving the story forwards) but given all this film has to accomplish the story does a remarkably good job of building off the world created in Man of Steel, addressing many of the criticisms of that movie and setting up the future Justice League.  Yes, there's plenty of action, that's a given in any comic book movie and especially one by Zack Snyder, but the story appears to be deeper than in Man of Steel and it doesn't just move from one action scene to another, the characters all get room to have their own plot points and moments to shine.  It even manages to work in a long rumoured second villain in a way that not only doesn't feel crammed in but also feels like a natural progression to the world they are building. 
If this is the direction the film goes in then Batman v Superman has the potential to be not just the biggest film of 2016 but also one of the best as well.

Of course a LOT can change between script and screen.  Even if this summary is legitimate there's no way of knowing if this is from before shooting or during or just how much things will change in the editing room.  All I know is that whilst I was looking forward to Batman v Superman before there was always a part of me that remained hesitant, afraid of being burnt again, now I'm feeling much more optimistic for this film and the future DC Extended Universe and that's a brilliant feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment